The British No 1, fresh off a tournament win in Vienna at the Erste Bank Open, can top the ATP rankings if he claims victory at this week's Paris event and Djokovic loses before the final.

But Murray, currently the world No 2, remains aware that he must rely on Djokovic uncharacteristically faltering in Paris.

"I can obviously try and win my matches, but even if I win all of my matches this week, I still might not get there," Murray told a news conference on Monday.

"So it's in Novak's hands. He's ahead obviously just now, so if he wins his matches and gets to the latter stages of the last two tournaments, then he'll most likely keep the No 1 spot.

"I don't feel any differently now to how I did six, eight weeks ago. My goal wasn't to finish No 1 at the end of this year.

"I wanted to finish this year as strong as possible and I think there is a lot stronger chance of doing it in the early part of next year, which is what I targeted, rather than this week."

Murray will begin his challenge at the Paris Masters in the second round on Wednesday, when he will play Fernando Verdasco who profited from Robin Haase's retirement in their Monday tie.





Source: SkyNews.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post